Saturday, September 18, 2010

Yom Kippur

Friday night meant the start of Yom Kippur, the most depressing holiday in the Jewish faith. The word 'holiday' has come to mean something fun and filled with lots of fattening food, while Yom Kippur hearkens back to the original meaning of the word which is, as it sounds, 'a holy day'.

Yom Kippur is the day in the Jewish faith where you repent for all of your sins. In doing so, you fast from sundown to sundown, around 25 hours. No food, no water. For a full day. I'm not actually Jewish, but Dave is, and as I would feel bad eating in front of my fiance while he fasts, I fast too. And it sucks. That's probably why it is the only holiday I've written about so far, and I've done so twice.

Breaking fast, on the other hand, is a lot of fun.

This year we got together with a couple friends (some Jewish, some not) and had bagels with cream cheese and lox, and I made a noodle kugel. My thanks to a former library colleague for the recipe.

Amazing Noodle Kugel

1 lb medium egg noodles (16 oz)

1 stick butter

6 eggs (1 ½ C eggbeaters)

1 t vanilla

½ C sugar

½ pt sour cream (1 C)

½ pt cottage cheese (1 C)

¼ C milk

2 T lemon juice

½ C sugar


Pre-heat oven to 350ยบ. Boil noodles (8-10 minutes, or until soft), drain and mix with butter, 3 eggs (3/4 C eggbeaters), vanilla, ½ C sugar. Pour into 9x13 pan.


Mix remaining eggs or eggbeaters, sour cream, cottage cheese, milk, lemon juice and remaining sugar, pour over noodles.


Top with cinnamon, bake for 1 hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment