Friday, July 9, 2004

Complete Works of Shakespeare, Abridged!

We got up pretty late again this morning, ‘cause we had been up so long yesterday. We walked again to Paddington Station and got Dad’s round trip ticket from Ilkley to the Lake District and back. At a small shop in the station, I got Mom two scarves (to go with the scarf pin/broach that dad had gotten her). Then we took the tube down to Piccadilly and picked up the tickets to the Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged).

For the next three hours, we basically milled around, looking in different shops, eating lunch and getting mixed berry smoothies. While we were enjoying the sugary goodness, some school group (all boys, and French) passed us, all in light blue polo shirts and black pants. One of them caught my eye; he reminded me of a kid I used to have a crush on. They all walked past us, and around the corner, and we got up to go to the theater.

We got seated at about 3:30, and I wrote postcards to people while Dad talked to some guys from California who were seated in front of us. At one point, the school group filed into the front rows, along with kids from other schools. All of them had uniforms. Then the play started.

It was awesome! The three guys who we saw were not the same guys that I had seen on the video, but they were just as good. One of them (the one who always had to play the girl), reminded me of Jimmy Fallon from SNL. It was really awesome. I haven’t laughed that much in a long time.

Afterward, I got a DVD of the guys that I’d seen in English class, so I’ll watch that with Hannah when I get home. I miss everybody, but especially her. What I really want to do right now is be at home watching Buffy with my little sister. *sigh* Three more weeks. Anyway, I digress.

After I got the DVD, we went back outside and saw that same darn kid that I had seen earlier, walking around in circles, looking as though he was going to cry. Turns out, he went to the bathroom, and his group left without him. I though that possibly his group was still in the theater with the other school groups that had passes to a lecture by the actors, but no such luck. So what else was there for me to do but run down five crowded, London city blocks in the pouring rain, to try and find this non-English speaking kid’s classmates? I did.

And I found them, so, happy ending. It was the uniforms that gave then away. I saw the last couple of kids getting on a bus, so I ran across the street (always fun in a city, but especially in London; honestly, in most places the drivers will slow down, or at least keep going the same speed when they see a person crossing the street in front of them, but I swear that in London they speed up, just to make the people run) and asked the teacher “Are you missing someone?” He did a quick head count and realized that there was indeed a head missing, so he went back to the theater with me, collected the aforementioned head, and after thanking Dad and I profusely, left. So, happy ending.

By the time we got back to the hotel, it was about 6:30. Dad went and did our laundry while I packed and watched Nightmare on Elm Street. Johnny Depp may be in that movie, but it is still a dog. Painful in its badness. So, we had dinner and I’m going to bed. Leaving for Ilkley tomorrow; I’m kinda nervous. What if they all think I'm just some dumb American kid? Anyway, g’night.

No comments:

Post a Comment