Wednesday, July 7, 2004

Breakfast, Museums and a Show

Today was interesting. First, we went and got tickets for the trip to Ilkley. We bought them at Paddington Station but are leaving from Kings Cross (not platform 9 ¾ unfortunately). Our cashier was a Sikh with a full beard and turban and an amazingly thick Cockney accent. Very odd combination.

Then we went to a cafĂ© at about 11:30 and had a “traditional English Breakfast”; in other words, enough food to last me a week. We each got a plate about 11-12 inches in diameter; that in itself was ominous. Half of this was covered by baked beans, while fried eggs, bacon, sausage, grilled tomatoes and toast occupied the other. I was able to eat about half the food; it was very good, just far more than I needed.

After this “breakfast”, we crawled to the British Museum. The first thing one sees is the Discus Thrower at the head of a set of stars on the left. The Second is the Rosetta Stone at the entrance to the Egyptian section. We had been in the museum for only about ten minutes before I asked a family to please move so I could take a picture. Amazingly, it was Narie (one of my best friends in elementary school), who I had not seen since 5th grade. After not seeing her in six years, it was distinctly odd seeing her across the Atlantic.

We went on to walk around the museum for about four hours; then we hit the gift shops. I got a necklace and a keychain for myself, a pair of Celtic knot earrings for Mom, and three mother-of-pearl bangles for Hannah. Dad got an ankh necklace for Hannah, a broach for Mom (another Celtic knot), and a bunch of postcards for Bennett, all treasure and coins. At some point I think we had something to eat, but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was.

We went back to the ticket booth to get the tickets for Mousetrap and walked to the theater. If I remember correctly, we were watching the 20,305th production of the play, in this theater alone. Mom saw Mousetrap in this same place about twenty five years previously. It was pretty packed and we had really good seats; right in the middle of the balcony. It was a very good play; you are able to figure out some things, but not the big twist at the end. I never would have guessed the identity of the murderer. The audience was asked at the end of the performance not to tell anyone the ending, so I am not going to say another word about it.

After the show, we came back to the hotel and had peanut butter and cheese sandwiches for dinner. Nighty-night.

No comments:

Post a Comment