Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Passover - Day 2

Today I am making the noodle kugel I made for Thanksgiving - it is mostly kosher, and I have lots of leftovers that need using, so there we are. Since I promised new recipes this week, and that isn't, here are my instructions for Fried Matzo. This is another recipe Dave and I use a lot to make the massive stores of matzo we have palatable, and I must say, it is quite fantastic.

Fried Matzo

4 matzo, broken into 3rds
boiling water
2 eggs
2 T milk
1 t vanilla
2 T sugar
1/2 t cinnamon

Put the matzo in a dish and pour the boiling water over it. Allow to sit for 30 seconds, then drain the water. This is to allow the matzo to become soft enough to soak up the egg. You don't want it to fall apart, just to be flexible.

Heat a frying pan on high. Mix the eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Dip the matzo pieces in the batter until they are coated, then lay them in the frying pan. Allow to cook until brown, then flip. This should not take more than a minute per side.

Serve with more sugar sprinkled on top, or with maple syrup.

This is basically French toast, but with matzo instead of bread. If you have a particular way of making French toast, by all means use it, and just follow my instructions on preparing the matzo.

No comments:

Post a Comment