Sunday, July 24, 2011

Becky's Drive In

One of my favorite summer activities in Allentown is Becky's Drive In. I had never been to a drive in before I met Dave - I don't actually know if there are any in the Syracuse area. The concept is an old fashioned one, but it is the type of thing that should be regaining popularity, and I hope it does to the point that the dying industry begins to turn around.

At Becky's there are two screens, each one playing two films per night. The movies are timed so that if you want to switch screens during the interval you can, without missing anything. Admission is $8 for adults and $4 for children. Regardless of whether you stay for one movie or two. Did you read that? $8 for TWO movies. Not only do you get to sit totally alone, undisturbed by anyone else, and you can even bring your own food if you want to *gasp* you get to see two movies for less than the price of one. If this doesn't sound like the best deal ever, I don't know what's wrong with you.

See the following two posts for reviews of the movies Dave and I saw this weekend: Captain America and Horrible Bosses.

1 comment:

  1. The last movies I saw in a drive in were Swiss Family Robinson and North to Alaska (John Wayne. I pressured my parents into taking us to see it solely on the popularity of the theme song sung by Johnny Horton. Horton also sang Sink the Bismark and the Battle of New Orleans...yeah, the "...gator blew his mind." We used to watch movies in an outdoor theater outside the naval Hospital in GITMO. Some nights phantoms flew overhead firing rockets into an island in the bay used for such practice.

    ReplyDelete